St. Mark’s Church is the parish church of the old Zagreb and one of its oldest buildings. It was built in the 13th century and from that Romanesque period there is a window in the south wall of the church and a bell-tower.
In the second half of the 14th century, the church was reconstructed and turned into a late Gothic church. The most valuable part of St. Mark’s Church is its south portal, considered to be the work of the sculptors of the Parler family from Prague (end of the 14th century). The Gothic composition of the portal consists of fifteen effigies placed in eleven shallow niches. The statues of Joseph and Mary with the infant Jesus are on top, and below them one can see St. Mark and the Lion; the Twelve Apostles are placed on both sides of the portal (four wooden statues replaced the original ones which had been destroyed). In its artistic composition and the number of statues, this portal is the richest and the most valuable Gothic portal in South Eastern Europe. On the north-western wall there is the oldest coat of arms of Zagreb from 1499. On the roof, tiles are laid so that they represent the coat of arms of Zagreb (white castle with the red background) and the Triune Kingdom of Croatia, Slavonia and Dalmatia. Again, the church has been reconstructed twice until today, in the second half of the 19th century according to the Viennese architects’ design, Friedrich von Schmidt (1825 – 1891) and Hermann Bollé (1845 – 1926), and in the first half of the 20th century, when the painter Jozo Kljaković (1889 – 1969) painted its walls, the works of well-known sculptor Ivan Meštrović (1883 – 1962) were put on the altar.
Trg Sv. Marka 5