Zrinjevac is named after the Croatian Ban Nikola Šubić Zrinjski (1508 – 1566) who died defending Hungarian fortress of Szigetvar besieged by the Ottoman invaders.
It is a part of ”Lenuci’s Horseshoe” or ”Green Horseshoe”. It consists of eight squares in Donji Grad laid by an engineer Milan Lenuci (1849 – 1924) in the 19th century. The central fountain was the first fountain, built in 1878. It is popularly called ”The Mushroom” because of its shape and it was designed by the architect Herman Bollé.