Trakošćan is one of the most attractive and most visited castles located in the Northern Croatia (Varaždin Region).
It was built in the 13th century as a fortress. In the 16th century it was managed by the emperor Maximilian II (1527 -1576) who gave the estate to a governor and a bishop of Zagreb Joseph II Drašković in 1569 for the services rendered and later it became a family heritage. Nikola Zrinski was the owner of the property in the middle of the 17th century for several years (1645 – 1651). In the 19th century, it was renovated in neo-gothic style surrounded with an artificial lake, a garden and a forest – park. The Castle Museum with its collection was established in 1953. The Republic of Croatia owns the castle today and it is opened to visitors all the time.